Thursday, December 8, 2011

Bittersweet News

Hello there.

Well, I wish I didn’t have to write this post, but I suppose it’s better to spread the word sooner rather than later… So, here goes:

We’re moving.
Need a TV? (Click here.)

Nick accepted a job with a new company based in California, so we’re headed back to the United States next month. Of course, when he told me the news of his offer, my first reaction was to ask how he’d feel about a commuter marriage between Luxembourg and California. (Surprisingly, he wasn’t so into the idea.) And since Luxemblog doesn’t exactly pay the bills around here – sigh – I guess I’m going with him.

I’m sad to be leaving. We both are. We’ve really enjoyed adjusting to life in Europe, exploring Luxembourg, and working on our always-in-progress French. I’ve had great fun writing this blog, freelancing for the Luxemburger Wort, and making appearances on ARA City Radio, and we’ve both had the opportunity to meet so many kind and interesting new friends along the way. But even though we’ve really just barely unpacked, Nick and I both feel like we’ve made the most of our short time here and wouldn’t trade a minute of it.
How about a vacuum?
(Click here.)

But hey, there are lots of positives about moving back to the United States: there’s a Starbucks on every corner, free water at every restaurant and all the ice cubes a person can handle. And there are certainly worse places to have to live than the South Bay area of California! [Insert New Jersey joke here.] Really, the funny part about all of this is that for my entire adult life, I’ve wanted to move to San Francisco – that was, of course, until we moved to Luxembourg! Now we’ll be living less than an hour away. Oh well. Watch what you wish for, I guess.

We’ll be around until mid-January and then we’re off to California. In the meantime, I’ll be perfecting my latest hobby: worrying 28 hours a day about finding my own job, locating temporary housing, permanent housing, buying cars, what cell phone plan we should sign up for, managing the international move, canceling our visas…(this list could go on and on and on and on). If you’re so inclined, you can help me to worry less about how we’ll get rid of our electrical appliances by checking out items we’re selling on this page. (Yes, that was a shameless plug to hawk our stuff for sale. If you missed the link, it’s on this page.)

You know you want this handheld mixer.
(Click here.)
You’re not rid of me yet, though. I’ll be back on the radio betwen 9-11am tomorrow, and back on Luxemblog tomorrow morning with a post about what’s on for the weekend. And I’m planning to continue writing as long as I feel like what I have to say might be relevant to you.

So, let’s not say “addi” just yet, okay?

3 comments:

  1. Best of luck! Sad to hear about it though - where will I get cool and random info on Luxembourg now??

    ReplyDelete
  2. The US welcomes you back with open arms! A close friend of mine is about to do this in reverse...she's thinking 28 hours a day about moving her family to London for the next year. Lots of excitement and stress for all! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to miss Luxemblog :(

    ReplyDelete